If you haven't had a colonoscopy and are over 50, or over 40 (my doctor said 35) with a family history of colon cancer, please schedule yourself for this procedure ASAP. Get retested at recommend intervals. It may help you avoid my fate. If I had gotten a colonoscopy promptly when I turned 50 nineteen months ago, the tumor would probably still have existed, but would definitely have been smaller, easier to treat, and perhaps not spread to lymph nodes.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/colon-cancer/CO99999/PAGE=CO00004
Also, be sure to get an annual physical exam that includes a Fecal Occult Blood Test (FOBT) which can detect unseen blood in the stool. I had an FOBT test (which was negative) for my age 50 exam in 2006, but was tardy in getting an exam in 2007, which might have detected a problem 7 months ago. I'd still have the tumor, but it would have been smaller and might not have spread.
http://www.webmd.com/colorectal-cancer/fecal-occult-blood-test-fobt
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment