Saturday, November 17, 2007

If you only had 1 more day...what would you do?

Through seven very wonderful, but busy months of preparing for Savior of the World, I have been looking forward to the weeks following its completion and the fulfillment of my Scouting for Food responsibilities in anticipation of a season of rest, renewal, and enjoying the holidays with family and friends. Instead, the events of the last four days have turned our lives upside down and have felt like a month long ordeal. How quickly life can change.

Earlier this year I was successful in achieving my goal of completing three double century (200 miles in one day) bike rides in order to qualify for the California Triple Crown of cycling. I now suddenly and unexpectedly find myself facing an even greater challenge in which I am literally fighting for my life. Its just that my opponent has already won several rounds while I wasn't looking. At the moment, the bell has not yet rung so I cannot begin fighting, just preparing and enlisting assistance and support.

Most of us have probably heard the soul searching question asking what we would choose to do if we knew we only had one day left to live. This morning I faced a somewhat related, yet less ominous question, which was: Since today may be the last Saturday in some time that I will be physically able to do as I wish, which of the many items on my to-do list should I attempt to tackle? After thinking about it, I enlisted the help of two of my sons and together we were able to complete or make substantial progress on several tasks. I was also able to go for a leisurely bike ride with a friend who rides a hand powered trike. I had no doctor visits today. It was a good day.

No comments: