Monday, December 01, 2008

The Gift of Music

I was reminded again last night of how much my life has been blessed by the gift and miracle of music as I listened to some very talented women in our stake rehearsing for an upcoming performance of a musical play entitled "Parable of the Ten Virgins" (http://deseretbook.com/store/product/4982919) to be performed at our annual Community Christmas Celebration this coming weekend.

Its amazing to me that God could create and use something so seemingly simple as the energy of small, vibrating objects transmitted through the air to bring such beauty, joy, and enjoyment to his children, which in turn can serve as a vehicle for his Spirit to communicate to all who have ears to hear and a receptive heart, without regard to language, culture, gender, or age.

These eleven women (10 performers and a narrator) have each been blessed with beautiful individual voices, which they have developed into exceptional talents that are wonderful to hear. However, when they merge their individual talents to sing a beautiful, multi-part arrangement which was composed by another talented musician (Emily Freeman) that none of them may have ever met and are coached and led by yet another talented individual who also selflessly shares her many talents, the resulting event is just about as close to experiencing heaven on earth as I'm able to tolerate.

I'm so very grateful that I have been blessed throughout my life to associate with so many people who have the gift of music and who are willing to develop and share those talents with others for the betterment of mankind. I truly believe that the positive power of music can breach any barrier, whether it be language, culture, politics, religion, social or economic classes, geography, gender, or age to help unify the diverse peoples of the world.

The following article entitled "The Peace of Music" written by internationally acclaimed LDS pianist, composer and entertainer Marvin Goldstein (http://www.marvingoldstein.com/) discusses the potential power of music to help us all follow Christ's admonition to "be one".

http://mormonmedia.com/store/pages.php?pageid=4

1 comment:

Katie May said...

I'm so grateful for having married into such a musical family. It has definitely blessed my life, as well as our girls lives. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!