Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Latter-day Prophets and the United States Constitution

While reading a quote posted on a social media website by a friend who was trying to help others place the events of yesterday's election in proper perspective, I stumbled across the following website. I felt like I had found a gold nugget on the floor.

http://rsc.byu.edu/out-print/latter-day-prophets-and-united-states-constitution 

This website is sponsored by the Religious Studies Center of Brigham Young University. This webpage contains the entire contents of a book published more than 20 years ago that is entitled, "Latter-day Prophets and the United States Constitution". The book is a compilation of quotes by most past presidents of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (whom Mormons revere as modern day prophets of God) regarding the divinely inspired Constitution of the United States of America.
 
The book was edited by Donald Q. Cannon, who is a professor emeritus of Church history and doctrine and a former associate dean of Religious Education at Brigham Young University. He received bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the University of Utah and a doctorate from Clark University

I invite all my relatives, LDS friends, and lovers of liberty and freedom of whatever religious denomination, to peruse these statements by latter-day prophets regarding the Constitution of the United States of America. Read what they said 150 years ago, or even a few decades ago. Then compare where we are today. Ponder how the "popular" politicians of today feel about the liberties enshrined in the Bill of Rights. Do they abide by the Constitution's mandated checks and balances, or do they treat them as impediments to their agenda? Do they honor their sworn oath to "preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States"? Read what the prophets have said about the dangers of allowing these bedrock principles of the Constitution to be eroded.  

Some of my relatives and friends have an honest difference of opinion and consider such concerns to be "extreme". I'm OK with that. It's not me they are disagreeing with.


Those who have ears to hear, let them listen. 
Those who have eyes to see, let them read.


1 comment:

Cam said...

Not withstanding my anguish and deep disappointment about the outcome of the election, this is STILL the greatest country in the world.

We (STILL) believe in being subject to kings, PRESIDENTS, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law."

I am flying a brand new flag today. I love my country. I will be praying for leaders of government at all levels.