Saturday, April 20, 2013

Bucket List Item #7: Fire A Machine Gun. Check.

 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4rUpZdNkBA


(I don't know why this URL hyperlink displays a "Video has been removed by user" error message when clicking on it from within this blog entry, so just copy and paste it into another browser window and it should work. Let me know if it doesn't.)




I was the high bidder at a charity fund raising auction to fire 100 rounds using a SWAT .223 caliber tactical rifle that switches between semi-automatic and full automatic modes with the flip of a lever. It was FUN! This was my first (and probably only) experience firing an automatic firearm. Shooting a machine gun has now been checked off my bucket list.

My first visual impression of the rifle is that it was smaller than I anticipated, even with a telescoping adjustable butt stock that we fully extended for my large frame. I'm sure this is because of the need to be able to use the rifle in close quarters, like turning around in hallways. When I handled the rifle for the first time, I was surprised by how heavy it was, even with some aluminum and carbon parts.  No wonder we often see SWAT officers with detachable straps over their neck to help support the weight of their compact, but solid rifle.

What surprised me most about this weapon is its super fast rate of fire. I was anticipating that full automatic mode might fire about 5 rounds per second, about as fast as the trigger could be manually pulled in semi-automatic mode. WRONG! I estimate that the 30 round magazine could be emptied in 2-3 seconds, which equates to a rate of fire in the range of 600-900 rounds per minute, which is a meaningless value since no reasonably portable magazine could hold that much ammunition. I think the shortest burst I was able to shoot without running out of ammo was 3 rounds.

Another very noticeable part of the experience was the noise and concussive force of each fired round. Even with good ear protection, the noise immediately gets your attention. I believe that an auto-leveling feature on iPhone camera microphone greatly minimized the noise recorded on the video. When standing to the side (not the side where the empty shells were ejecting) to film, each round fired created an air blast that felt like someone gently shoving you in the chest. Therefore the sustained bursts felt like a drummer rapidly hitting my chest with padded timpani mallets. Its obvious to me that anyone being shot at with this weapon at close range, even if the bullets were to somehow miss, would be stunned by the noise and the repeated shock waves.
 
When in semi-automatic mode, I was able to recover from the recoil and get the targeting dot back on the target and fire again within 2-3 seconds. Full auto mode is more difficult. It was a challenge to brace myself to withstand the ongoing recoil and keep the red dot aiming scope pointing at the center of the target located 30-40 feet away. During the relatively longer bursts (1-2 seconds), in addition to the considerable recoil, I could sense the rifle rotating slightly in reaction to each bullet rotating in the opposite direction as they traveled through the spiraled rifling inside the barrel.


I concur with the oft repeated statement that using a fully automatic rifle to attempt to hit a single target in a public area, especially if the target were moving, would be inadvisable. Its just too hard to control where all the bullets go.  In special situations where there is no concern for overspray or rounds passing through walls, or in combat situations where the objective is to quickly hit as many enemy combatants as possible, then I see value in using full automatic mode.But you better have a lot of extra ammo clips.


No comments: