Tuesday, December 24, 2013
Mike Rowe WORKS Foundation
I REALLY like what Dirty Jobs TV show host Mike Rowe has to say about the excessive emphasis being placed on preparing everybody to go to college and the exce$$ive co$t of many higher education institutions. I remember reading the candid answer of a university president to the question as to why they continued to raise tuition rates at a much faster rate than the rate of inflation. His reply was very telling. "Because we can".
If you or someone you love is considering going into debt and getting a tax-payer funded student loan for tens of thousands of dollars that you may never be able to repay to buy a diploma for a job that doesn't exist, you REALLY owe it to yourself to listen to what Mike Rowe has to say on the subject of education, work, jobs, and success.
When I was in college (and YES, I do think a reasonably priced college education is a good idea for those who are so inclined and prepared) I often wondered where was the financial aid for people like me. As Mike Rowe points out- scholarships are available for students who are really smart, students who are really athletic, students who are really gifted in the arts, and students who are really poor. I wondered where is the financial aid for students like me whose parents are not rich enough to afford to pay their way through college, but who are also not poor? What of the students like me who are married with a child or two, who are working one or more jobs, are volunteering in the community, are trying really hard to work and study and keep all the important balls in the air?
Mike Rowe has started a foundation called mikeroweWORKS whose goal is to promote hard work and supporting the skilled trades in a variety of areas. Primarily, they award scholarships to young men and women who have illustrated both an interest and an aptitude around mastering a specific trade. Qualified candidates include those students who want to advance their education through an accredited trade school or apprenticeship program, exhibit high work ethic and need financial assistance.I wish more SWEAT equity financial assistance was available to students.
http://profoundlydisconnected.com/reasontv-interviews-mike-rowe-on-the-high-cost-of-college/
If what Mike has to say in the above video makes sense, check out his conversation with a CNN forum member who seemingly wants to blame all the world's problems on conservatives following Mike's appearance on the Piers Morgan show.
http://profoundlydisconnected.com/cnn-viewer-has-questions/
In addition, checkout Mike Rowe's Facebook page.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment