Sunday, June 22, 2014

Leap of Faith

A month or so ago, our LDS ecclesiastical leader, Bishop Peters, challenged ward members to re-read the Book of Mormon. So I did. My belief was reinforced that the book is a divinely inspired ancient record whose primary purpose is to testify that Jesus of Nazareth is the promised Messiah of ancient Hebrew prophecy and scripture. In answer to sincere prayer, I received another spiritual confirmation by the power of the Holy Ghost that the record is true.

I have just finished reading what I found to be a very interesting book written by Senator Bob Bennett, entitled, "Leap of Faith- Confronting The Origins of the Book of Mormon. From an intellectual analysis perspective, I learned more about the Book of Mormon, and attempts by some to explain it away as being a hoax or forgery, than I ever before knew. My testimony of the Book of Mormon has been strengthened.

I would be happy to loan this book to anyone interested in reading it. The book was recently on sale at Deseret Book for less than $5.

This is one of several summaries of "Leap of Faith" printed on the back cover:

"In this penetrating and eminently readable book, Senator Bennett lays out the major criteria for forgery and then systematically examines the Book of Mormon against those criteria, leaving to the reader the judgement, the decision, and the resolve in addressing the question: What shall we do with the Book of Mormon?"

"This highly original study is both intellectually fascinating and spiritually stretching. I highly recommend it."  Robert L. Millet, professor of ancient scripture, Brigham Young University"


No comments: