Kim and I spent General Conference weekend in Solvang (northwest of Santa Barbara) for my second of three 200-mile bike rides in a calendar year needed to earn the California Triple Crown. We were fortunate to get a room in town due to a cancellation, as otherwise we would have had to settle for a hotel room in a nearby town. Needless to say, the place was PACKED with cyclists and other tourists. We drove up Friday and walked the streets and had dinner together. With the exception of a few restaurants, this tourist town shuts down between 5-6pm. She watched Conference on Saturday while I rode. Weather was perfect and the ride was the easiest on me so far. Minimal Achilles' tendon problems this time. Beautiful scenery and rolling hills that reminded me of the TV commercial about California Cheese coming from happy cows. Another scene looked identical to the Microsoft Windows desktop bitmap of rolling green grassy hills. The next day we enjoyed the Sunday morning session of Conference together at the hotel and then traveled to Clayton and Katie May's place to watch a TIVO delayed Sunday afternoon Conference session with the two of them and Zachary. If I can shake off the lung congestion flu I've been fighting, on the 14th I'm planning to repeat the Hemet Double Century I did last year for this year's Double #3.
Here is a photo of your truly during the Solvang ride, which I completed in about 13-something hours, which included about 60-90 minutes worth of breaks and rest stops.
http://redbikephoto.com/2007_solvang_double_century/image61.html
(as you can see, having the headlight's on/off/mode switch by my finger means that sometimes the light get turned on accidentally)
Solvang Double Century website
http://www.planetultra.com/solvang/index.html
California Triple Crown website
http://www.caltriplecrown.com/
Saturday, April 07, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment